01 Sep Treatment for Sesamoiditis in Bellmore
Do you have a sharp pain under your big toe? Did it gradually become more painful over time? It’s possible that you have Sesamoiditis. Sesamoiditis is an injury affecting the bone in the ball of your foot and the soft tissue surrounding it. If you are looking for Treatment for Sesamoiditis in Bellmore, at Cherrywood Foot Care, our Bellmore podiatrists will be able to treat your Sesamoiditis in order to get you back on your feet again!
With a Sesamoid injury, inflammation occurs around the Sesamoid bones which make it extremely painful to walk. As a result, most people try to walk on the outside of the foot. Long-term changes to the way you walk can create pain in other areas of the body, which is called over-compensation pain. To prevent this, it is important to see a Bellmore podiatrist as soon as possible.
Causes of Sesamoiditis:
- Arthritic changes to the Sesamoid bones
- Trauma to the Sesamoid bones
- High Heels
- Carrying heavy loads over time
- Bone abnormalities
- High arches
- Runners who overpronate
- Athletes or dancers who put great strain on the forefoot
- Bony feet
Our Bellmore podiatrists use a variety of methods to treat Sesamoiditis. Some common treatments we recommend are:
- Stop the activity that strains your forefoot
- Take aspirin or ibuprofen
- Rest and ice the bottom of your foot
- Wear shoes will low heels and soft-soles
- Use felt cushioning pads
- Tape the big toe to keep it slanted downwards
- Steroid injections to reduce swelling
- Wearing a short leg fracture brace
A Sesamoid injury is an overuse injury. This is caused by repetitive and straining movements done over time. Most individuals with Sesamoiditis notice a stop or decrease of their pain with decreased activity.
Call to make an appointment with a Bellmore podiatrist so we can diagnose your pain and successfully treat it. We want to get you back to doing the things you love without the pain.