12 Oct Benefits of Removing an Ingrown Toenail
An ingrown toenail, also known as onychocryptosis, usually develops on the big toe when a corner of the toenail digs into the skin. Proper nail trimming or a warm soak may be all you need to treat an ingrown toenail, but sometimes it’s best to see a specialist right away. At Cherrywood Foot Care, we remove ingrown toenails to help our patients avoid pain and discomfort associated with this condition. Continue reading to learn more about some of the benefits of removing an ingrown toenail.
Ingrown Toenail Removal
Ingrown toenails are one of the most common foot ailments we see at Cherrywood Foot Care. This condition occurs when the toenail starts to grow into the skin and is usually caused by improper nail trimming or tight-fitting footwear. This issue can be treated at home by soaking the toe in warm water or wearing shoes that don’t put pressure on the toe. However, if conservative care does not provide results, surgical treatment may be necessary.
Treatment for this foot condition can vary depending on the patient’s individual needs. If you are dealing with long-term and recurring ingrown toenail issues that don’t improve with conservative care, surgery to remove the nail edge can be a permanent solution to avoid discomfort. There are two different types of ingrown toenail surgery:
- Partial Nail Avulsion (PNA) – Permanently removes the side of the nail that is damaging the skin. This quick and routine procedure is a preferred option since the majority of the nail can remain attached.
- Total Nail Avulsion (TNA) – This procedure permanently removes the entire nail and is reserved for severely damaged or thickened toenails that cause recurring problems that PNA won’t fix.
Ingrown toenail removal is a routine procedure that brings welcome relief from discomfort, inflammation, irritation, and infection. Some of the benefits of removal surgery include:
- Quick, outpatient procedure performed under local anesthetic that lasts just 45-60 minutes.
- With PNA, a normal-looking nail remains after healing.
- Fixes this issue permanently.
- Quick recovery time.
- Pain relief.
After your surgery, our team will provide you with excellent aftercare in the coming weeks to ensure that your toe heals properly.
Ingrown toenail removal surgery may sound daunting, but when performed by our experienced podiatrists, it is a procedure with tremendous benefits for patients. At Cherrywood Foot Care, we offer comprehensive treatment and aftercare for ingrown toenails. To learn more about this procedure or to schedule an appointment, be sure to contact our team today!