Ingrown toenails are a condition of the foot that is increasingly common among patients. This foot-related issue occurs when the edges or sides of the toenail grows into the skin. As a result, inflammation and pain are common symptoms felt by those who have an ingrown toenail. Even worse, diabetics can be at a higher risk for further complications from an ingrown toenail due to insufficient blood flow.
Luckily, at Cherrywood Foot Care, we offer the best-ingrown toenail care on Long Island and are devoted to making sure that your foot-related issues are being treated efficiently. Cherrywood Foot Care and Dr. Joseph Burke have been consistently voted the Best Podiatrist on Long Island, nine years in a row! For more information on our practice’s ability to treat and heal ingrown toenails, check out the rest of our blog!
Ingrown toenails can be the result of a variety of different stimulants. Some of these causes include a few of the following:
- Hereditary – For many individuals, ingrown toenails can be an inherited gene that has been passed on through generations.
- Improper Trimming – Cutting your toenails too short is the most common cause of ingrown toenails, and it advocates the skin next to the nail to fold over and create discomfort.
- Trauma – From stubbing your toe, dropping a heavy object on your feet, or just injuries from engaging in physical activity or a sport, each of these incidents can lead to ingrown toenails
- Nail Conditions – Ingrown toenails can also be the result of prior nail conditions, including nail fungus or the loss of a nail from past trauma.
The first step in treating an ingrown toenail is finding proper treatment. Finding ingrown toenail care on Long Island may seem like a daunting task, but at Cherrywood Foot Care, we are more than happy to help you relieve your discomfort!
Ingrown toenails are a condition that should be treated immediately to avoid further infection and complications. Some common nonsurgical methods for treating an ingrown toenail can include some of the following:
- Make sure that your foot is dry constantly.
- Wear shoes that are comfortable and that have sufficient room for your toes. Sandals are a viable option if you feel shoes won’t give you adequate comfort.
- Three to four times a day, make an effort to soak your foot in warm water. This will help make the condition better and reduce pain.
- Take ibuprofen and aspirin to lessen the pain you may feel. However, do so only as recommended by your podiatrist.
Unfortunately, some ingrown toenails may require the help of a podiatry clinic. If that’s the case, Cherrywood Foot Care and our ingrown toenail care on Long Island can be the solution for you. A surgical procedure is typically very effective at stopping the nail from growing further into the skin.
Contact Us – Ingrown Toenail Care on Long Island
At Cherrywood Foot Care, we are experts in recognizing, diagnosing, and eliminating foot-related conditions before they become detrimental. Because our feet are so important in everyday life, we are devoted to providing you with quality care and undivided attention.
Serving communities all over Nassau County, there’s no distance we won’t go to make sure you’re fully recovered. If you’re suffering from an ingrown toenail and need help today, contact Cherrywood Foot Care and get the help you deserve!