A bunion is a fооt dеfоrmitу thаt саuѕеѕ thе joint at thе bаѕе оf the big tое to bulgе outwards. This deformity can be painful and make even walking around uncomfortable. With summer and flip-flop season approaching, getting relief from your bunion pain is important if you want to enjoy the warm weather. At Cherrywood Foot Care, our podiatrist in Bellmore has a variety treatment options to get you ready for flip-flop season.
Cаuѕеѕ оf Buniоnѕ
While the еxасt саuѕе оf buniоnѕ iѕ ѕtill unknown, there are a few different ways that we believe they can develop:
- Foot injuries
- A deformity from birth
- Improper shoes
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Signѕ and Sуmрtоmѕ
- Bulging bump on the outside of the foot
- Swelling, redness, and soreness around the big toe
- Persistent pain
- Corns and calluses
- Limited range of motion
- Picking the right shoes: Choosing the right shoes is a good place to start when treating bunions. Shoes that are too tight can put a lot of pressure on the foot and bunion and can cause an increased amount of pain. Picking shoes that fit right won’t cause pain and will allow your foot to feel comfortable in your shoes.
- Changing shoes: In combination with picking the right shoes, changing your shoes often is important as well. It offers relief for your feet by putting them in a new pair of shoes instead of wearing the same ones everyday for hours on end.
- Medication: Using pain relievers like ibuprofen can help reduce the pain you are feeling as well as help to limit any swelling you might have.
- Orthotics: Orthotics or commonly known as shoe inserts can help to provide support for your feet that meet your individual needs and reduce the symptoms that you are having. Our podiatrist in Bellmore can offer customized orthotics crafted by our team of trained professionals at Cherrywood Foot Care.
- Using Ice: Making sure to ice your feet is important because it can soothe the pain you are feeling as well as reducing any swelling you may be experiencing.
- Surgery: If none of these options work for you, surgery may be needed. This option is usually needed for more serious cases and requires around a 6 week rehab process.
Since summer is only a few short weeks away, making sure that all your foot aches and pains, including bunion pain, are dealt with is important if you want to wear flip-flops and enjoy the nice weather. Meeting with a podiatrist is a great way to ensure that you get the best treatment for your bunion pain. At Cherrywood Foot Care, our podiatrist in Bellmore can offer a number of treatment solutions to have your feet looking and feeling good for the summer. Make sure to contact us today for an appointment.